To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. -Elbert Hubbard.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Becoming the Archetype-Dichotomy

Buy "Dichotomy" here

Recently, Becoming the Archetype released their 3rd album "Dichotomy." The musicianship, especially the guitar work, is absolutely phenominal, topped only by the lyrics. I have never heard such openly Christ-filled lyrics from a metal band before. You can't listen to their lyrics and doubt who they serve. Often times, bands obscure their message with metaphorical phrases and lyrics. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. In fact, I'm amazed at people like Ryan Clark (lead singer from Demon Hunter) who have the ability to communicate God's message in a loving, non-intrusive manner to an audience who, for the most part, dispises anything to do with the church. Anyway. Here's a segment of lyrics from the track "evil unseen."

We exchange our faith for rational thought
We trade our conscience for advanced reasoning
But there's no love in thought
Nothing that lasts in deduction
There's no hope in justifying wrong
Just death in rationalism
I am not of this world
And science cannot explain me
I will transcend death
This body will not contain me
This evil unseen must be defeated
This pattern must be destroyed
"We exchange our faith for rational thought." I consider myself a "thinker" (well, as much of a thinker as one can be at 17 years of age). I try to come up with reasons and explanations for things that should just be taken on faith. Don't get me wrong. I believe it's absolutely crucial for Christ-followers living in the civilized world (ESPECIALY America) to have some basic scientific knowledge and fact to be able to back up their faith. But my question is this: How many times do I, and possibly you, the reader, trust in science and logical reasoning rather than The Creator of logic and reasoning? I know I often do. I find that many times I know about God, but don't genuinely know Him. I think this holds true for many people other than myself.
So, to all you "thinkers" out there. Let's truly TRULY know him before we start knowing about him.
I leave you with another lyric segment from from the track "Ransom."
"My hands have taught me terrible things. His hands have set me free."

No comments: