To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. -Elbert Hubbard.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My First Battle.

I was told 3 weeks ago to "pick my battles" after I wore jeans to our Sunday morning church gathering. The person told me he had (has) no problem with it, but that others in the church body might would not like me wearing jeans while on stage playing guitar in front of everybody. My question to him (as well as anyone who feels the same way) is, "when are we going to pick a battle?" and "What battle IS worth it?"

I understand that what clothes you wear has nothing to do with your relationship with Christ (unless of course, your clothes are immodest). But the issue here goes beyond the actual clothing. It's the reasons for the "clothing rule" that anger me. We have these "baptist" sins - Drinking (debatable), Dancing, Music, and Clothes just to name a few. When, in reality, none of those have any scriptural backup (except drinking, but that's a different discussion for someone much wiser than I). When are we going to challenge these "Baptist Sins?" I'm starting now, you're welcome to join too.

So, I'm about to break it to my parents that I'm sick of being forced to dress up all pretty just to attend Sunday Church gatherings. Christ and this disciples had the clothes on their backs, and that was it. Fellowship among Christ and his disciples didn't consist of putting on their fanciest robes. In fact, they owned nothing. That's right, nothing. Fellowship for them consisted of sitting around a camp fire in the middle of the desert and discussing the days events, their trials, the future, that funny time John was running to catch up with the rest of the gang and tripped over a rock and fell. They did life together. THAT was, and still is, Fellowship. Doing life together. Actually-hypothetically speaking-, now that i think about it, if Jesus and his disciples DID in fact dress all pretty to fellowship together, I'm not sure that i would still dress up to attend Sunday services. Why? Sunday services aren't fellowship. That's right. I said it. Coming on Sunday morning and singing songs and listening to pastor preach and then walking out the door as complacent as ever doesn't equate to fellowship.

True Fellowship is that night that the Wall Highway Music Team sat around at John King's house and improvised praise songs while sipping on ice tea and just having a good time being among fellow believers.

True Fellowship is that time at Larry McWhorters house where those going on the Trinidad mission trip swam, at hamburgers, prepared our hearts for what was ahead of us, and just had a good time being in the presence of other believers.

True fellowship is that time at Ed Courtney's house where Me and Nathan Gilbert sat out by the pool and argued over various theological topics, but at the end of the day, I love him and he loves me because we both know that the other is truly trying to follow Christ.

Now, don't get me wrong. I DO NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM condemn those that simply choose to wear suits and ties because that's their style. But it's when they say to me, "my style is more 'church appropriate' so you have to wear what i wear."

I'm going to edit this post tomorrow. It's bedtime for jakey.

No comments: